Jay, Chair of the Real Estate Group, represents regional and national owners, developers and lenders in connection with the purchase, sale, planning, development, and complex financing of office, industrial, retail, large scale multi-use and lifestyle residential development energy projects. Additionally, Jay has a specialty practice representing both landlords and tenants with the management of their lease portfolios.
Jay also acts as general counsel to a wide range of companies and business owners with corporate matters, including formation, structure and strategic planning.
In addition to his practice, Jay enjoys long-distance triathlon and marathon training and racing. Most recently, Jay completed Ironman Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky (2015) and Philadelphia Marathon in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (2016).
- Suffolk University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- Fairfield University, B.S., cum laude, 1999
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Massachusetts, 2002
- Rhode Island, 2010
- Recipient of 2014 Providence Business News 40 Under Forty award
- Recipient of 2009 Top Young Professionals Under Forty award from New England Business Bulletin+
- Named a “Rising Star” in the 2014 and 2015 Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- The Real Estate Bar Association of Massachusetts
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Urban Land Institute
- Southcoast Health System
- The Southcoast President’s Council, Member
- Tabor Academy
- Headmaster’s Council
- Town of Holliston
- Zoning Board of Appeals, Member
- Represented buyers and sellers of real estate in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including sale-leaseback transactions and tax-free exchanges.
- Represented regional and national developers of commercial real estate projects in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including assistance with land control, parcel assemblage and obtaining zoning, wetlands, subdivision and other governmental permits and approvals.
- Represented developers of affordable housing projects throughout Massachusetts, including projects under Chapter 40B.
- Represented owners and operators of office buildings in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including providing counsel with building operations and tenant-related issues.
- Represented landlords and tenants nationally in the negotiation of office, retail and industrial leases and coordination of leasing portfolios.
- Represented lenders and borrowers in the structuring and closing of several complex construction, interim and permanent mortgage loans in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represented lenders and borrowers with several specialty loan transactions in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including bond issuance and tax credit financings.
- Represented creditors and debtors with non-performing asset portfolios, including negotiating work-out strategies and foreclosures.
- Represented shareholders of several corporations in the purchase and sale of stock or corporate assets.
- Represented various companies in diverse industries in Massachusetts and Rhode Island as outside general counsel, including providing assistance with day-to-day operational issues, management and strategic planning.
- "New Tax Incentives for Land Conservation"