Recognized for his ability to unify disparate groups and facilitate change, Christian concentrates his practice in the areas of environmental and energy law, land use and public sector/governmental services. With over 20 years of experience, Christian guides clients through the complex ever-changing world where energy/environmental regulations and business intersect.
Christian handles a diverse range of complex environmental matters including enforcement, regulatory and compliance issues, renewable energy projects including large scale solar and offshore wind projects, real estate development, environmental remediation including brownfields, coastal/waterfront violations, permitting and waterfront property rights. He represents clients before the Coastal Resources Management Council, the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, the Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission, the Rhode Island Energy Facility Siting Board, as well as before the zoning boards, planning boards and conservation commissions in towns and municipalities across New England.
Christian also represents landowners and project developers in real estate transactions, renewable energy development deals, and financing transactions associated with these projects. He plays an integral role evaluating and mitigating environmental risks relating to development projects and business transactions, as well as providing key strategy on renewable energy projects.
Prior to joining the firm, Christian served in the Rhode Island Attorney General’s Office where he had a proven track record of successfully litigating high profile criminal and civil cases. He led the State’s Environmental Crimes Task Force, handling litigation on environmental issues impacting Rhode Island. Christian worked closely with the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management and the Coastal Resources Management Council, serving as outside legal counsel handling enforcement matters, drafting legislation, and negotiating diverse environmental matters. Christian has also worked closely with the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, U.S. Department of Agriculture and various state agencies and attorney generals throughout the United States.
Christian is nationally recognized for developing and implementing environmental and energy training programs and is a sought-after presenter on a myriad of topics with a focus on emerging and complex energy and environmental issues and trends.
Corporate & Business
Energy & Environmental
Suffolk University Law School, J.D.
Providence College, B.A.
Richmond University, Firenze, Italy
District of Columbia
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Real Estate Nexus Training Academy
- Environmental Business Council, New England, Inc.
- Rhode Island Leadership Team
Boards, Commissions and Community Activities
- Rhode Island Judicial Nominating Commission
- Audubon Society of RI
- Executive Committee
- Chair, Legislative & Policy Committee
- Properties Acquisition Committee
- Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce
- Narragansett Propeller Club
- New England Environmental Business Council
- RI Leadership Team & Renewable Energy Planning Sub-committee
- RI Special Olympics
- Unified Soccer Partner & Coach
- Extensive experience handling a diverse range of complex energy & environmental matters including enforcement, regulatory and compliance issues, renewable energy projects, real estate development, environmental remediation including brownfields, coastal permitting and waterfront property rights.
- Represented renewable energy developers and developers in Rhode Island before the Department of Environmental Management, Coastal Resources Management Council as well as local zoning and planning boards to obtain approvals and permits.
- Represented renewable energy developers before Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission in all aspects of the development and siting of solar and onshore & offshore wind facilities including interconnection issues.
- Represented renewable energy developers in Massachusetts and Rhode Island before zoning and planning boards for permitting and approval of large scale solar projects.
- Represented renewable energy developer before Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission on declaratory judgment action.
- Represented renewable energy developers in Massachusetts and Rhode Island in the structuring and negotiation of solar leases, PILOT agreements, interconnection service agreements and net metering financing agreements/power purchase agreements.
- Represented developer before Rhode Island DEM to obtain permit for the large scale on-site waste treatment systems.
- Represented developers before Rhode Island DEM to obtain resolution of notice of violations related to wetlands, solid waste, hazardous waste, water and air violations.
- Represented non-profit corporation in Rhode Island to successfully permit affordable housing redevelopment before local planning board. Represented private landowner before CRMC to successfully permit a complex residential dock and dwelling.
- Professional Excellence Law Award Recipient in Environmental and Land Use, Rhode Island Monthly, 2020, 2021
Representative Speaking Engagements
- EBC Energy Updates from RI Office of Energy Resources & RIPUC Moderator and Panelist, 2020
- EBC Federal and State Environmental Civil and Criminal Enforcement Moderator and Panelist, 2019
- North East Environmental Enforcement Project’s Federal and State Environmental Civil and Criminal Enforcement Regional Training Instructor, 2019
- EBC & RISEP Rhode Island Program: Updates from Rhode Island DEM & OER Leadership Moderator, 2018
- EBC Environmental Congressional Briefing with U.S. Senator Whitehouse Moderator, 2018
- EBC Update on Renewable Energy Industry in Rhode Island Moderator, 2017
- EBC Environmental & Energy Congressional Briefing with U.S. Congressman Cicilline and U.S. Congressman Langevin Moderator, 2017
- EBC Brownfield Projects – Helping Move RI’s Economy Forward Panelist, 2016
- EBC Updates from RI’s Environmental and Energy Leadership Moderator, 2016
- EBC Climate Change – Implications for Infrastructure and Sea Level Rise Moderator, 2016
- Environmental Issues and Rhode Island Realtors Residential Properties, Speaker, 2015
- Environmental Issues Impacting Contractors and Owners Speaker, 2015