Jeff has a breadth of experience in civil litigation matters with an emphasis on land use, construction, creditors’ rights, regulatory, and property tax related issues. He has represented financial institutions both as plaintiff and defendant in a wide variety of civil actions in Rhode Island and Massachusetts Courts. These lawsuits have involved defending financial institutions against borrowers’ claims under both state and federal lending laws as well as representing lenders in claims against defaulting borrowers.
In addition to his commercial/business related litigation practice, Jeff works closely with developers and other property owners in analyzing land use projects, identifying necessary approvals and permits and conducting administrative hearings to obtain required permitting and approvals.
Corporate & Business
Energy & Environmental
Litigation & Disputes
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude Editor, Suffolk University Law Review
University of Vermont, B.A.
Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Donald F. Shea, Associate Justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court
Rhode Island Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Municipal Law Committee
- Fee Arbitration Committee
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Construction Law Forum, Litigation
- Section of Public Contract Law
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- The East Greenwich Track Club
- The Odeum Corporation
- Former Board Member & President
- Jewish Community Day School, Rhode Island
- Temple Emanuel
- Board of Directors, Former Member
- Diabetes Foundation of Rhode Island, Inc.
- Past Chairman of the Board, Legal Counsel
- Jewish Federation of Rhode Island
- Board of Directors, Former Member
- Community Day School Task Force
- Obtained zoning relief and permits for some of the largest recent developments in the State of Rhode Island.
- Successfully represented the Block Island Utility District in its purchase of the Block Island Power Company in 2019 and provided counsel regarding the establishment of this new quasi-public non- profit utility.
- Represented Providence Gas Company before the Rhode Island Energy Facility Siting Board in obtaining approval for and siting of a Liquefied Natural Gas facility in The City of Newport.
- Obtained property tax relief arising out of Providence Gas Company’s challenge to The City of Providence’s property tax assessment regarding the company’s lines and mains.
- Represented Providence Gas Company before the Rhode Island Division of Public Utilities in several dockets involving costs associated with street openings and repaving.
- Successfully argued a number of the major land use cases in the Rhode Island Supreme Court, including cases involving the scope of a municipality’s jurisdiction as it relates to coastal waters, major property tax and zoning issues, and the scope of municipal redevelopment agencies’ authority.
- Represented Pawtucket Power, Tiverton Power and Dartmouth Power in a number of forums relating to permitting, tax issues, and enforcement of rights under Power Purchase Agreements and contractual efficiency guarantees.
- Represented the Public Utility Commission with regard to a major rate case focused on the decoupling of transportation of natural gas from commodity charges.
- Represented the State’s Public Building Authority on permitting and construction issues related to many of Rhode Island’s major construction projects throughout the 1990’s and 2000’s.
- Successfully represented the Rhode Island Department of Transportation in a number of high stakes litigation involving construction issues, federal funding, and attacks on the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority’s tolling authority.
- Managed major waterfront developments throughout Rhode Island, obtaining required permits from the Rhode Island Coastal Resource Management Council and the Department of Environmental Management as well as local zoning and planning boards.
- Represent solar development companies in all aspects of the development and siting of solar facilities including interconnection issues.
- Successfully represented municipality in a court challenge to its authority to impose a moratorium on solar developments to permit the municipality to complete its impact analysis and amend its zoning ordinance to address identified issues.
- Recognized in Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for his work in the real estate area
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Land Use & Zoning Law
- Recognized as a Litigation Star by Benchmark: Litigation, a Guide to America’s Leading Business Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Rhode Island Super Lawyers
- Recognized by Providence Hebrew Day School for his commitment to the Jewish community of Rhode Island and the numerous organizations to which he dedicates his time and financial support
Representative Speaking Engagements
- PSH Attorneys Recognized in 2023 Edition of Best Lawyers in America August 18, 2022
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation’s 2022 Rankings and Stars October 2021
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation’s 2021 Rankings and Stars November 2020
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Recognized in the 2021 Edition of Best Lawyers in America August 20, 2020
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Recognized in Professional Excellence Law Issue In Rhode Island Monthly June 2020
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation’s 2020 Rankings and Stars November 8, 2019
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation’s 2019 Rankings and Stars December 7, 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America November 5, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy “Lawyers of the Year”
- 11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017
- Jeffrey H. Gladstone Recognized by Providence Hebrew Day School for Commitment to Jewish Community June 1, 2017