For over 37 years Rick has represented numerous international, national, and regional lenders in structuring and documenting asset-based, commercial and industrial, real estate, and mezzanine loan facilities. He also has substantial experience in working out and collecting troubled loans for those same lenders.
In addition, Rick has a national practice representing clients in the areas of commercial real estate and financing. He has extensive experience in matters related to acquisitions and dispositions, borrowing, leasing, development, planning, and zoning. Rick has served as counsel to local municipalities in the areas of leasing, land use and land acquisition.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- Colby College, A.B.
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- District of Columbia
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- Ranked as a leading attorney in the Real Estate area in Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America in the area of Real Estate Law
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell, highest possible rating on both legal ability and ethics based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges
- Selected as a Top Rated Lawyer in Banking & Finance by The American Lawyer
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- The Business Development Company of Rhode Island
- Board of Directors, Secretary
- Bryant University
- Member, Board of Advisors, College of Business (2012 - 2017)
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Rhode Island Government Relations Committee Member (2012 - present) (Chair, 2012-2015)
- Town of North Smithfield
- Solicitor (2008 – 2012)
- Assistant Solicitor (2004 – 2006)
Representative TransactionsCommercial Lending
- Bank in combined direct loans and purchase of privately placed bonds for the development of major brewery.
- Bank in $52MM loan to developer of combined condominium and apartment complex in Massachusetts.
- Bank group regarding zoning issues in financing three parcels in downtown Providence.
- Lenders in numerous tax credit financings.
- Bank in restructure of loans to alternative energy developer.
- Bank in successful restructure and pay down of loans to lending Rhode Island cultural institution.
- Bank in two year, full recovery workout of loans to major regional infrastructure contractor.
- Developer in $40MM renovation of historic mill financed by bank loan, mezzanine debt, federal historic tax credits, and Rebuild RI tax credits.
- Solar energy developer in purchase of real property and state and local permitting of 12.44-megawatt facility.
- Beverage company in land lease and construction of campus housing research, development, and production facilities.
- Developer in negotiating lease with Rhode Island Airport Corporation and in permitting and sub-leasing of private hanger project.
- Municipality in planning and zoning for the two largest real estate development projects in the town’s history.
- Various purchasers of hotels in Warwick and Providence, RI.
- Real Estate Law and Real Estate Finance Guides
As published by Practical Law, Thompson Reuters, Annually
- The Investment Tax Credit And Consumer Demand, Make Outlook For Solar Development Look Robust
As seen in New England Real Estate Journal, July 26, 2019
- Will the EB-5 program survive past its expiration date?
As seen in the New England Real Estate Journal, June 9, 2017
- Commercial Real Estate: Looking Ahead to 2017
As seen in the New England Real Estate Journal, October 14, 2016, October 14, 2016
- Crowdfunding Commercial Real Estate: Panacea or Path to Disaster?
As seen in the March 14, 2016 edition of the Providence Business News., March 2016
- "Rhode Island Supreme Court Deals the Death Blow to Usury Savings Clauses"
- "Where in the Rhode Island FY 2015 Budget Are Historic Tax Credits?"
- "Usury Savings Clauses No Longer Save Lenders"
- "The Death of LIBOR?"
- Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
May 1, 2019
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
November 5, 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Recognized in Chambers USA 2018 In Rhode Island and Massachusetts
May 7, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy "Lawyers of the Year"
11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017
- Partridge Snow & Hahn LLP Announces New Managing Partner and Other Firm Leaders
April 1, 2017