Michael advises and defends businesses on all aspects of employment law. His primary focus is partnering with business clients to strategically address employment issues in order to minimize legal risk and impact on business operations. Michael works closely with human resource professionals, in-house counsel, and executives on a daily basis to address potential discrimination, wage and hour, employee discipline, and termination issues. He works with clients on leave of absence issues under traditional leave laws such as the FMLA, ADA, and state sick leave laws, as well as new laws providing for paid leave such as the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) and Massachusetts Paid Family Medical Leave Act (PFML). Michael also provides guidance and defense to businesses under investigation or being audited by state or federal regulatory agencies such as the EEOC or DOL.
Michael is currently devoting a significant amount of time to guiding employers through the myriad of COVID-related laws, Executive Orders and regulations, including quarantine and travel restrictions, COVID work policies, medical inquiries and testing, OSHA and whistleblower claims, remote working risks and return-to-work issues. He also has extensive experience negotiating and drafting employment contracts, noncompetition agreements, handbooks, voluntary separation programs, and separation agreements.
In addition to compliance issues, Michael has over 25 years’ experience defending businesses in state and federal courts (in multiple jurisdictions) and administrative agencies (such as EEOC, RICHR, MCAD) on both individual and class action employment claims, such as claims of discrimination, sexual harassment, whistleblower retaliation, misclassification and wage and hour violations. He has also defended and prosecuted numerous lawsuits concerning the enforcement of noncompetition, nonsolicitation and nondisclosure of trade secrets agreements.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Bucknell University, B.S.
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island
- Benchmark Litigation, 2021 Labor & Employment Star
- Best Lawyers in America Lawyer of the Year - Rhode Island Employment Litigation (2018), Management (2015)
- Best Lawyers in America – Rhode Island Employment Law, Management (2010 through 2022).
- Chambers USA – Band 1 Labor & Employment Law (2009 through 2021)
- Rhode Island Super Lawyers – Employment Law, Employment Litigation, Business Litigation (2009 through 2021)
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell
- Employment Law Alliance (ELA)
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Northern Rhode Island Chamber of Commerce
- Board, Executive Committee Member and Legal Counsel
- National Kidney Foundation
- Past Regional Advisor Board Member and Chair
- Special Olympics Rhode Island
- Past Board Member
- Rhode Island Community Food Bank
- Past Board Member
- Won a precedent setting R.I. Supreme Court case for national jewelry and fine goods corporation establishing that employee manuals including discretionary amendment provisions do not create contractual rights.
- Obtained federal court summary judgment for worldwide crystal manufacturer against retailer on antitrust, breach of contract and fraud claims.
- Won federal court trial for state’s dominant workers’ compensation insurance carrier against national competitor on claims of trademark infringement, establishing new precedent on issue of harm in intellectual property infringement actions.
- Won R.I. Supreme Court decision dismissing disability discrimination claims against national retail chain by former employee.
- The NLRB is Back at it Again: New Proposal Broadens Definition of "Joint Employer"
September 13, 2022
- Rhode Island Employers can No Longer Discipline Employees for Out-of-Work Recreational Weed Use
June 21, 2022
- RIDLT Proposes Regulations and Issues Compliance Guidance for the New Pay Equity Law
June 3, 2022
- MASSACHUSETTS WAGE UPDATE: SJC OVERTURNS YEARS OF PRECEDENT AND FINDS THAT EMPLOYERS MUST AUTOMATICALLY PAY TRIPLE DAMAGES IF WAGES ARE PAID EVEN ONE DAY LATE
April 8, 2022
- Massachusetts SJC Holds that Independent Contractor Statute Applies to Franchisees
March 31, 2022
- Congress Moving Forward To Limit Employers' Right to Arbitrate Sexual Harassment Claims – A Slippery Slope
February 11, 2022
- Supreme Court Rescues Large Employers from the OSHA ETS Vaccine Mandate
January 18, 2022
- Updates to the Massachusetts Minimum Wage and PFML Coming in 2022
December 14, 2021
- Federal COVID Action Plan Announced
September 10, 2021
- United States Supreme Court Limits An Employer's Ability to Protect Trade Secrets Through Violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
July 15, 2021
- Rhode Island's New Pay Equity Law Changes How Employers Must Compensate Their Workforce
- Massachusetts Mandatory Emergency Paid Sick Leave Starts Now
June 7, 2021
- IRS FAQ Expands Free COBRA Entitlement
May 28, 2021
- Employers Should Brace Themselves for the ARPA's Burdensome Paid COBRA Mandate
March 29, 2021
- New FFCRA Leave Starts April 1, 2021
March 23, 2021
- The End of Mandatory COVID-19 Related Leave (For Now)
January 20, 2021
- CDC Expands the Definition of "Close Contact" for Purposes of Quarantine and Contact Tracing
October 22, 2020
- Solving Staffing Nightmares Created By State Travel Restrictions
August 25, 2020
- FFCRA Update - One Federal Court Strikes Down Portions of the DOL's Final Rule Implementing The FFCRA
August 11, 2020
- FFCRA Child Care Leave During Summer Vacation - What's The Rule?
June 16, 2020
- Restrictive Covenant Agreements
June 11, 2020
- Department of Labor Updates Employer Guidance on FFCRA
May 12, 2020
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act
March 20, 2020
- Engaging Independent Contractors in the Gig Economy: 3 Things for Employers to Know
February 19, 2020
- Coronavirus: Guidance for Employers
February 19, 2020
- Uber Contractor/Employee Status to be Determined by Federal Jury
As seen in Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly, February 6, 2020
- Here We Go Again - For The Second Time - DOL Unveils Final Overtime Rule
September 27, 2019
- Update: Massachusetts Paid Family And Medical Leave - Deadline For Employer Contributions Extended To October 1, 2019
Partridge Snow & Hahn Client Alert, June 12, 2019
- One Epic Year Later: Have You Implemented A Mandatory Arbitration Agreement Yet?
May 17, 2019
- Update: Massachusetts Paid Family And Medical Leave - New Deadlines And Tax Implications
May 2, 2019
- Update: Massachusetts Paid Family And Medical Leave - New Notice Requirement Deadline Of May 31
Partridge Snow & Hahn Client Alert, April 18, 2019
- New Massachusetts Paid Leave of Absence Law
Partridge Snow & Hahn Client Alert, April 11, 2019
- Here We Go Again - DOL Unveils "New" Overtime Rule
Partridge Snow & Hahn Client Alert, March 18, 2019
- What You Need to Know About the New Mass. Noncompete Law
As seen in Providence Business News, October 26, 2018
- Rhode Island Employers Take Note: Amend Your Paid Time Off Policy Now
June 27, 2018
- An Epic Win for Employers Across the Nation: What Employers Should Do To Avail Themselves of the Benefits of the New U.S. Supreme Court Decision
May 24, 2018
- Employers toe fine line to avoid misclassification liability
Published by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly and Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly , May 17, 2018
- It is Not an Early April Fools' Joke: Give Your Employees the Required Massachusetts Pregnant Workers Fairness Act Notice TODAY
March 30, 2018
- Why Your Company Will Be in Violation of the Massachusetts Equal Pay Law on July 1st - And How to Fix It
March 28, 2018
- Proposed Rhode Island Sick Leave Regulations Fail to Provide Clarity and Will Increase Employer Headaches if Finalized
March 14, 2018
- Massachusetts Employers Take Notice
February 22, 2018
- Massachusetts Employers Take Notice: Evaluate and Comply Now or Risk Paying More Later
August 22, 2017
- Accommodating Medical Marijuana Users: A National Trend?
As seen in Law360 , August 2, 2017
- Massachusetts High Court Concludes that State Anti-Discrimination Laws Protect Medical Marijuana Users
July 19, 2017
- Rhode Island Company Liable for Refusing to Hire Marijuana User – Is Massachusetts Next?
May 25, 2017
- Employers thrown curve on new overtime rule
Texas judge grants injunction on eve of changes; lawyers say no one-size-fits-all advice, Michael A. Gamboli was quoted in a Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly article., December 2, 2016
- Not So Gentle Reminder - EEO-1 Reports are due on September 30
September 26, 2016
- Update – Red States Sue to Stop Enactment of Obama Administration's Changes to Federal Overtime Laws
September 21, 2016
- Department of Labor Issues Final Changes to the Overtime Law
May 19, 2016
- "Employer can't enforce non-compete vs. doctor."
Michael Gamboli, was quoted in a Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly article., April 20, 2016
- "Employer can't enforce non-compete vs. doctor"
April 20, 2016
- Outsmart the Pending Changes to the Overtime Law with Advance Planning
- "President Obama Announces Proposed Sweeping Change to Federal Overtime Law"
- "Massachusetts Sick Time - AG Amends Safe Harbor Provision"
- "Massachusetts Sick Leave Notice to Employees"
- "Massachusetts Sick Leave Law – Safe Harbor for Employers"
- "Sexual Harassment Claims – An Ounce of Prevention Equals a Pound of Cure"
The Anchor, Second Quarter 2015, 01 May 2015
- "FMLA Recognizes Same-Sex Marriages"
- "Massachusetts Officially Provides Paternity Leave!"
- "Employers: Be Ready for a Union Ambush"
- "Employers - Be Prepared to Revise Your Email Policies"
- "U.S. Supreme Court Takes Up Major Challenge to Federal Health Reform"
- "Massachusetts Voters Pass Mandatory Paid Sick Time"
- "Mandatory Paid Sick Time in Massachusetts?"
- "US Department of Labor to Aggressively Pursue Misclassification Matters"
- "Health Reform News"
- "Dueling Districts on Major Challenge to Federal Health Reform"
- "When it Comes to Volunteers and Unpaid Interns There is No Such Thing As a Free Lunch"
- "RI Increased Employee Absences (and Headaches) due to the 2014 Temporary Caregiver Leave Law"
- "Bi-Weekly Pay in RI - Finally!!"
- "Bi-Weekly Pay Update - One Step Closer!!"
- "Bi-Weekly Pay – The Devil is in the Details"
- "Not Everything in Health Reform is Delayed: Employers Must Send Notices to Employees by October 1"
- "Rhode Island Labor Law Changes Passed by Legislation"
- "New Background Check Forms Required under the FCRA"
- "Employer Beware - Automatic termination policies are illegal. Just ask Sears."
- "Misclassification of Independent Contractors – Increased Risks and Damages under New Law"
- "Massachusetts Transgender Equal Rights Bill"
- "New Massachusetts Law Prohibits Employers from Asking about Criminal Convictions on Job Applications"
- "2009 Stimulus Bill: Expansion of COBRA Coverage"
- "The "New" Americans with Disabilities Act: What the Employee-Friendly Revisions to the ADA Mean for Employers"
- "Protecting Your Company from Negligent Hiring Claims"
Representative Speaking Engagements
- PS&H Attorney Michael Gamboli to Discuss How to Build an Inclusive Organization
November 3, 2021
- PS&H Attorneys Michael Gamboli and Joshua Xavier Discuss The New Pay Equity Law
October 14, 2021
- Joshua Xavier and Michael Gamboli Join HR Roundtable
April 27, 2021
- Michael Gamboli Served as Panelist For Paid Family Leave Webinar
November 10, 2020
- PS&H Partner Michael Gamboli Speaks at ALSB Annual Conference
August 4, 2020
- MA Paid Family And Medical Leave (PFML) Law
May 15, 2019
- PS&H Partner Michael Gamboli to Speak on Internal Investigations At 20th Annual RI SHRM Conference
March 28, 2019
- PS&H Partners Michael Gamboli and Paul Kessimian Speak at Rhode Island Bar Association 2018 Annual Meeting
June 6, 2018
- The Law of Sexual Harassment (How to Address Situations)
March 21, 2018
- Northern Rhode Island Chamber of Commerce Golf Tournament
September 19, 2017
- Credit Union of Rhode Island Charity Golf Tournament
July 17, 2017
- Employment Law & HR Update: The Power of Best Practices
November 3, 2016
- PSH Attorneys Recognized in 2023 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
August 18, 2022
- Chambers USA 2022 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn
June 9, 2022
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation's 2022 Rankings and Stars
- Chambers USA 2021 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn
May 20, 2021
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation's 2021 Rankings and Stars
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Named 2020 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Recognized in the 2021 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
August 20, 2020
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Recognized in Professional Excellence Law Issue In Rhode Island Monthly
- Chambers USA 2020 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Michael Gamboli and Alicia Samolis As 2019 Labor & Employment Stars
September 25, 2019
- Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
May 1, 2019
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
November 5, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
American Lawyer Media, October 22. 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Recognized in Chambers USA 2018 In Rhode Island and Massachusetts
May 7, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy "Lawyers of the Year"
11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017