Jim advises regulated and unregulated businesses in connection with their general corporate matters, corporate finance and structuring, stock and asset acquisition and sale transactions, business financings, and private placements. Jim provides counsel on regulatory and licensing concerns, compliance matters, general contract matters, employment relationships, franchising and licensing of intellectual property, and integration of business ownership and succession planning.
He advises clients regarding shareholder agreements, insurance arrangements, business valuations, deferred compensation, retirement benefits and related issues. His clients include financial institutions, credit unions, hospitals, and privately-held manufacturers, distribution companies and service organizations, including medical device manufacturers and independent power producers.
Jim is a frequent speaker on topics related to regulation of financial institutions and their mortgage banking subsidiaries, and structuring business organizations.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Brown University, A.B.
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- Banking & Financial Institutions Regulatory Compliance
- Intellectual Property & Technology
- Charitable & Nonprofit Organizations
- Chambers USA – Band 1 Corporate/Commercial Law (2018)
- Recognized in Best Lawyer in America 2018 in the area of corporate law
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2013 Providence Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell, highest possible rating on both legal ability and ethics based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges
- Recognized by his peers in Chambers USA – America’s Leading Business Lawyers since 2005 for his ability to combine corporate and securities law with a detailed knowledge of tax
- Named Rhode Island Super Lawyer (2007-2019)
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Immediate Past Chair, Business Organizations Committee
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Rhode Island Mortgage Bankers Association
- Director and Secretary
- Mortgage Bankers Association of America
- Legal Issues Committee
- Rhode Island Public Expenditure Council
- Director and Secretary
- Director and Treasurer
- Brown Club of Rhode Island
- Trustee and past President
- Advised a Rhode Island hospital regarding its affiliation with a hospital system, including negotiation of terms of affiliation agreement, putting in place retention agreements for key executives, obtaining early termination notice under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act and pursuing other regulatory approvals.
- Represented Rhode Island cooperative bank in connection with its conversion and sale to a bank holding company.
- Advised Rhode Island credit union in multi-million dollar outsourcing agreement for account processing and related services.
- Represented purchaser of 160 unit convenience store and gasoline station chain in four New England States.
- Structured senior and subordinated debt financings in numerous transactions.
- Advised sellers in connection with stock sale of multimillion dollar advertising specialty business.
- Represented majority sellers in sale of stock, including sale of interests held by ESOP.
- Advised sellers of two privately-held home heating and distribution businesses.
- Represented clients concerning contracts and commercial transactions including leasing, licensing and regulatory compliance relating to federal and state statutes.
- Organized SPEs and related financing transactions.
- Start with a Plan
As seen in the First Quarter 2017 edition of The Anchor, First Quarter 2017
- Keepin' It Local: New Tax Credits Designed for Economic Growth in Rhode Island
As seen in Providence Business News, September 2015
- "Proposed "Skin in the Game" Rule Modified by Federal Agencies"
- "Lessons for Nonprofits from the Freeh Report"
- "2011 Rhode Island Banking Legislation"
- "Rhode Island DBR Issues Press Release on Loan Modification Activity"
- "Has the Current Market Limited Your Ability to Use Endowment Funds as a Current Funding Source?"
- Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
May 1, 2019
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
November 5, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
American Lawyer Media, October 22. 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Recognized in Chambers USA 2018 In Rhode Island and Massachusetts
May 7, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy "Lawyers of the Year"
11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017