Howard Merten is past Managing Partner. He represents businesses, financial services institutions and individuals in complex civil litigation. His practice focuses on commercial litigation, products liability, insurance, media, and intellectual property matters. He is a frequent speaker and writer on wide-ranging topics including trial practice, insurance coverage, e-discovery, fraud investigations, intellectual property, and legal ethics and professionalism. Mr. Merten is the President-Elect of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, whose membership is limited to select attorneys who have displayed achievement in their field and leadership in the practice of law. He is also Past President of Defense Counsel of Rhode Island. His achievements have earned him recognition by all the usual peer-reviewed rating entities, including Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year in Rhode Island for Litigation - Banking and Finance in 2017 and Litigation - Intellectual Property in 2016.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Princeton University, B.A., cum laude
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- Named Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" in various litigation categories in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019
- Ranked as a leading attorney in commercial litigation in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- The Best Lawyers in America, since 1997
- Rhode Island Super Lawyers
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell
- Benchmark Litigation Star in Commercial Litigation
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Defense Counsel of Rhode Island, Past President
- Defense Research Institute
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Rhode Island Federal Bench Bar Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Roger Williams University School of Law
- Board of Directors (Secretary)
- Roger Williams University
- Board of Directors
- Rhode Island Zoological Society
- Board of Directors (Executive Committee)
- Obtained dismissal of multi-million dollar arbitration claim against the State of Rhode Island in dispute over Tobacco Manufacturers Settlement Agreement.
- Successfully recovered real estate and personalty valued at several millions of dollars from fiduciary alleged to have had improperly transferred assets from his siblings to his children over many years.
- Lead counsel for local beer distributor sued for sponsorship claims in multiple suits filed following The Station Nightclub fire.
- Obtained dismissal on eve of trial of biotech company sued over removal of high-tech equipment that landlord claimed were “fixture”.
- Defended National restaurant chain against dram shop claims brought by representatives of severely injured child.
- Obtained judgment for a chemical manufacturer alleged to have supplied contaminated chemicals that destroyed a jewelry manufacturing business.
- Successfully defended a gas detector manufacturer against claims that its equipment failed, causing an explosion which severely injured plaintiffs.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar judgment against, and helped federal authorities convict, a group of conspirators who diverted millions of premium dollars collected from independent truckers.
- Obtained a judgment declaring that the Rhode Island campaign finance statutes respecting referenda were unconstitutional.
- Convinced a federal district court to withdraw an order against a local newspaper because it was an unconstitutional prior restraint.
- Recovered clean-up costs and other damages for biotech company from designer of tank alarm system which failed, causing environmental contamination.
- Acted as liaison for the Media Committee formed by the Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court in Rhode Island during a high profile criminal trial.
- With Vaccinations Rolling Out, Law Firms Eyeing Office Return
As seen in Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly, April 2, 2021
- Will Business Interruption Insurance Be Available To Respond To COVID-19 Losses?
- For new managing partner, job in beginning a balancing act
A Quick Word With … Howard Merten
As seen in Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly, April 27, 2017
Representative Speaking Engagements
- The Great Resignation: Is Your Firm Ready? FDCC Annual Meeting
March 9, 2022
- Howard Merten to Present at FDCC Corporate Counsel Regional Meeting
June 4, 2018
- PSH Attorneys Recognized in 2023 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
August 18, 2022
- Howard Merten Elected as President of Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
August 1, 2022
- Chambers USA 2022 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn
June 9, 2022
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation's 2022 Rankings and Stars
- Howard Merten Elected as President-Elect of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
August 18, 2021
- Chambers USA 2021 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn
May 20, 2021
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation's 2021 Rankings and Stars
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Named 2020 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Recognized in the 2021 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
August 20, 2020
- Howard Merten Elected as Secretary-Treasurer of Federation Defense & Corporate Counsel
- PS&H Managing Partner Howard Merten Elected to Roger Williams University Board of Trustees
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Recognized in Professional Excellence Law Issue In Rhode Island Monthly
- Chambers USA 2020 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation's 2020 Rankings and Stars
November 8, 2019
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
May 1, 2019
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation's 2019 Rankings and Stars
December 7, 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
November 5, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
American Lawyer Media, October 22. 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Recognized in Chambers USA 2018 In Rhode Island and Massachusetts
May 7, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy "Lawyers of the Year"
11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017
- Partridge Snow & Hahn LLP Announces New Managing Partner and Other Firm Leaders
April 1, 2017
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Elects 2016 – 2017 Officers and Board Members at Annual Meeting
July 29, 2016
- Howard Merten re-elected Senior Director of the FDCC
15 August 2015