Howard is Managing Partner of the Firm.
He represents businesses, financial services institutions and individuals in complex civil litigation. His practice focuses on commercial litigation, insurance, products liability, media, and intellectual property matters.
Howard is a Past President of Defense Counsel of Rhode Island, the Rhode Island State Legal Defense Organization affiliated with Defense Research Institute. Howard is an active member of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, whose membership is limited to select attorneys who have displayed achievement in their field and leadership in the practice of law. He is also a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honor society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1984
- Princeton University, B.A., cum laude, 1981
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island, 1984
- Massachusetts, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit, 1991
- Best Lawyers in America Lawyer of the Year - Providence, RI Litigation, Banking and Finance (2018)
- Named Best Lawyers' 2017 Providence Litigation Lawyer of the Year
- Ranked as a leading attorney in commercial litigation in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Rhode Island Super Lawyers
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell
- Benchmark Litigation Star in Commercial Litigation
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Past Member of Board of Directors
- Defense Counsel of Rhode Island, Past President
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Defense Research Institute
- Product Liability, Insurance Law and Commercial Litigation Committees
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Rhode Island Federal Bench Bar Committee
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Roger Williams University School of Law
- Board of Directors
- Rhode Island Zoological Society
- Board of Directors, Vice Chair
- Obtained dismissal of multi-million dollar arbitration claim against the State of Rhode Island in dispute over Tobacco Manufacturers Settlement Agreement.
- Successfully recovered real estate and personalty valued at several millions of dollars from fiduciary alleged to have had improperly transferred assets from his siblings to his children over many years.
- Lead counsel for local beer distributor sued for sponsorship claims in multiple suits filed following The Station Nightclub fire.
- Obtained dismissal on eve of trial of biotech company sued over removal of high-tech equipment that landlord claimed were “fixture”.
- Defended National restaurant chain against dram shop claims brought by representatives of severely injured child.
- Obtained judgment for a chemical manufacturer alleged to have supplied contaminated chemicals that destroyed a jewelry manufacturing business.
- Successfully defended a gas detector manufacturer against claims that its equipment failed, causing an explosion which severely injured plaintiffs.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar judgment against, and helped federal authorities convict, a group of conspirators who diverted millions of premium dollars collected from independent truckers.
- Obtained a judgment declaring that the Rhode Island campaign finance statutes respecting referenda were unconstitutional.
- Convinced a federal district court to withdraw an order against a local newspaper because it was an unconstitutional prior restraint.
- Recovered clean-up costs and other damages for biotech company from designer of tank alarm system which failed, causing environmental contamination.
- Acted as liaison for the Media Committee formed by the Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court in Rhode Island during a high profile criminal trial.
- For new managing partner, job in beginning a balancing act
A Quick Word With … Howard Merten
As seen in Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly, April 27, 2017
Representative Speaking Engagements
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation's 2019 Rankings and Stars
December 7, 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
November 5, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
American Lawyer Media, October 22. 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Recognized in Chambers USA 2018 In Rhode Island and Massachusetts
May 7, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy "Lawyers of the Year"
11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017
- Partridge Snow & Hahn LLP Announces New Managing Partner and Other Firm Leaders
April 1, 2017
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Elects 2016 – 2017 Officers and Board Members at Annual Meeting
July 29, 2016
- Howard Merten re-elected Senior Director of the FDCC
15 August 2015