Steve provides counsel to clients in complex civil trials including antitrust and trade practices, banking and consumer finance, intellectual property, employment and health care. He has over 100 reported federal and state court decisions to his credit, including a landmark constitutional case (Salve Regina College v. Russell) which he successfully argued to the United States Supreme Court. Steve has served as lead trial counsel in some of the region’s most notable civil cases, including precedent-setting antitrust, constitutional, and consumer class action litigation.
- American University Washington College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Johns Hopkins University, The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, M.A.
- Johns Hopkins University, B.A.
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Intellectual Property & Technology
- Employment & Labor
- Trusts & Estates
- Banking & Financial Institutions Regulatory Compliance
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell, highest possible rating on both legal ability and ethics based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges
- Consistently recognized as a top litigator by Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Benchmark: Litigation
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America as an expert in antitrust law and commercial litigation
- Recognized by Super Lawyers as one of the Top 10 Lawyers in Rhode Island
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association
- American Society of International Law
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Federal Board of Bar Examiners
- Roger Williams University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor of Law
- Graduate School of Business Administration
- Bryant University, Adjunct Professor
- Rhode Island for Community and Justice
- Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island
- Johns Hopkins University
- National Alumni School’s Committee
- John Hopkins Alumni Association
- Successful defense to challenge against exclusive dealing networks in prescription drug plans.
- Successful defense of “most favored nation” provisions in provider agreements – case generally considered landmark in field.
- Obtained permanent injunction on behalf of major retailer to enforce terms of antitrust settlement.
- Successfully defended a bank against refusal to deal and boycott claims.
Banking and Insurance
- Successful defense of consumer class action under Rhode Island Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Successful defense of consumer class action concerning credit card practices.
- Upheld arbitration clause defense in consumer class action.
- Successful defense of consumer class action against mortgage servicer.
- Successful defense of breach of fiduciary duty claim.
- Successful defense of consumer class action.
- Unusual defendant class action challenging legality of Massachusetts Attorney General’s regulations concerning certain lending activities.
- Successful defense of insurer against claims of malicious prosecution and abuse of process in connection with major sting operation conducted by state police.
- Successful defense of claims of mishandling trust assets.
- Successful defense of shareholder derivative action against insurance company.
- Successful defense of a college in landmark case concerning the nature of relationship between College and students; U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal appellate courts are constitutionally required to review cases where state law provides rule of decision.
- Landmark case before the Rhode Island Supreme Court removed the name of an official from ballot in special election occasioned by his resignation.
- Successfully defended State in challenge to constitutional authority of prior Governor to bind State by executing compact with Indian tribe.
- Successfully defended State in an equal protection and sex discrimination case.
- Established rule that privilege against self incrimination can support negative inference in civil case.
- Successful defense of an elected official in civil rights action.
- Overturned adverse rulings in breach of contract and fraud action.
- Action against title insurance carrier.
- Successful defense of major warranty case.
- Successful defense of securities fraud action.
- Defense of consumer class action against health insurance plan.
- Successfully defended and prosecuted a number of patent infringement claims.
- Defense and prosecution of trademark, copyright, and trade secret cases.
- In an effort to win high-profile case, lawyer becomes history detective
As seen in Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly, Lawyers of the Year 2016,, December 12, 2016
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation's 2020 Rankings and Stars
November 8, 2019
- Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
May 1, 2019
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation's 2019 Rankings and Stars
December 7, 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
November 5, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
American Lawyer Media, October 22. 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Recognized in Chambers USA 2018 In Rhode Island and Massachusetts
May 7, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy "Lawyers of the Year"
11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017
- Steven E. Snow Named Lawyer of the Year
December 13, 2016