Jim advises regulated and unregulated businesses in connection with their general corporate matters, corporate finance and structuring, stock and asset acquisition and sale transactions, business financings, and private placements. Jim provides counsel on regulatory and licensing concerns, compliance matters, general contract matters, employment relationships, franchising and licensing of intellectual property, and integration of business ownership and succession planning.
He advises clients regarding shareholder agreements, insurance arrangements, business valuations, deferred compensation, retirement benefits and related issues. His clients include financial institutions, credit unions, hospitals, and privately-held manufacturers, distribution companies and service organizations, including medical device manufacturers and independent power producers.
Jim is a frequent speaker on topics related to regulation of financial institutions and their mortgage banking subsidiaries, and structuring business organizations.
Banking & Financial
Corporate & Business
Nonprofit & Tax-Exempt
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude
Brown University, A.B.
U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Immediate Past Chair, Business Organizations Committee
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Rhode Island Mortgage Bankers Association
- Mortgage Bankers Association of America
- Rhode Island Public Expenditure Council
- Brown Club of Rhode Island
- Trustee and past President
- Advised a Rhode Island hospital regarding its affiliation with a hospital system, including negotiation of terms of affiliation agreement, putting in place retention agreements for key executives, obtaining early termination notice under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act and pursuing other regulatory approvals.
- Represented Rhode Island cooperative bank in connection with its conversion and sale to a bank holding company.
- Advised Rhode Island credit union in multiple acquisition transactions, including mergers and branch acquisitions.
- Advised Rhode Island credit union in multi-million dollar outsourcing agreement for account processing and related services.
- Advised multiple Massachusetts and Rhode Island insurance agencies in connection with sale transactions, including equity rollovers.
- Represented purchaser of 160 unit convenience store and gasoline station chain in four New England States.
- Structured senior and subordinated debt financings in numerous transactions.
- Advised sellers in connection with stock sale of multimillion dollar advertising specialty business.
- Represented majority sellers in sale of stock, including sale of interests held by ESOP.
- Advised sellers of two privately-held home heating and distribution businesses.
- Represented clients concerning contracts and commercial transactions including leasing, licensing and regulatory compliance relating to federal and state statutes.
- Organized SPEs and related financing transactions.
- Chambers USA – Consistently ranked as leading attorney in Corporate/Commercial Law
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America in the area of Corporate Law
- Best Lawyers in America Lawyer of the Year – Providence, Rhode Island Corporate Law (2013)
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell, highest possible rating on both legal ability and ethics based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges
- Consistently recognized in Super Lawyers in Rhode Island
- PSH Attorneys Recognized in 30th Edition of Best Lawyers in America August 17, 2023
- Rhode Island Monthly Recognizes 23 PSH Attorneys in 2023 Professional Excellence in Law Issue June 14, 2023
- Chambers USA 2023 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn June 5, 2023
- PSH Attorneys Recognized in 2023 Edition of Best Lawyers in America August 18, 2022
- Chambers USA 2022 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn June 9, 2022
- Chambers USA 2021 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn May 20, 2021
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Named 2020 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars October 2020
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Recognized in the 2021 Edition of Best Lawyers in America August 20, 2020
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Recognized in Professional Excellence Law Issue In Rhode Island Monthly June 2020
- Chambers USA 2020 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn May 2020
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Works With Community Church of Providence To Secure Prominent New Home for Historic Tiffany Stained Glass Window February 28, 2020
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars October 2019
- Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn in Massachusetts and Rhode Island May 1, 2019
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America November 5, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars American Lawyer Media, October 22. 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Recognized in Chambers USA 2018 In Rhode Island and Massachusetts May 7, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars October 2017
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy “Lawyers of the Year”
- 11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017