Lawrence serves as outside corporate legal counsel to a broad range of emerging and established businesses, including web-based, software, clean energy and medical device companies, professional practices, restaurants and food product companies, and real estate developers.
He offers comprehensive and practical advice on matters throughout the company life-cycle, beginning with choice of entity and business organization, equity and debt financing, employee incentive compensation plans (equity and non-equity), shareholder/partnership agreements, commercial real estate leases and purchases, licenses, employment, tax, mergers, acquisitions and other exit strategies. Lawrence has particular experience in helping businesses owners proactively plan and prepare for a successful sale and transfer of their company.
Lawrence is also a business resource for his clients, connecting them with other professionals, businesses and business owners who will mutually benefit from such a relationship.
Lawrence also represents banks and borrowers in negotiations and documentation of asset-based term loan and lines of credit and the financing for real estate acquisitions and development.
- Boston College Law School, J.D.
- Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review, Production and Articles Editor
- University of Southern California, B.A. Economics, cum laude
Bar Memberships & Admissions
Professional Affiliations and Presentations
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Metrowest Chamber of Commerce
- Route 128 Tax Group
- Tax Advantaged Equity and Non-Equity Employee Incentives
Representative Clients and Matters
Outside General Counsel:
- Advise a technology staffing and consulting company on various matters including contracts, equity fundraising, employee profits interest and profit sharing plan creation and implementation, employment agreements and corporate governance issues.
- Outside general counsel for a web-based food order and delivery company providing general corporate advice in contracts and employment agreements, corporate governance, structuring, documenting and implementing its employee stock option plan and legal and business guidance in its anticipated acquisition of a food delivery service company.
- Guide and assist the President and CEO of an electronic locker system company through equity and debt fundraising transactions, contract negotiations with national apartment building management company, and structuring and implementing a Restricted Stock Unit employee incentive plan.
- Negotiation, documentation and closing of equity financings totaling over $2.5 million and general corporate advice for a web and mobile app restaurant reservation and table management company.
- Outside general counsel for a privately-held software company in its general corporate, licensing, leasing and employment matters and representation in its acquisition by a publicly traded company.
- Representation of a RF/microwave technology company in proprietary cellular base-station development agreements, and teaming and joint venture agreement with privately-held software company and publicly traded company to explore expansion of cellular capabilities in India.
- Drafting and negotiation of consulting agreements, licensing agreements and confidentiality agreements for a privately-held biopharmaceutical consulting company with various pharmaceutical and biotech companies.
Real Estate and Commercial Lending
- Represented one of the largest private real estate development companies in the U.S. relative to construction and acquisition financing of several southeastern Massachusetts shopping centers.
- Counsel for a custom design/build residential developer in its acquisition and financing of real estate development projects throughout southeastern Massachusetts and the preparation of condominium and homeowner association documents for its development communities.
- Represented a privately-held company in acquisition and financing of five commercial properties in the South Shore totaling over $23 million.
- Lenders counsel to several regional banks in Massachusetts and corporate borrowers, documenting and negotiating loan documents for term loans and lines of credits for business working capital, real estate acquisition and construction loans for developers and investment companies.
Lawrence received his education on both coasts, but decided that four seasons were better than one. He now resides in Maynard, MA with his wife Corinne, and his two children, Sophia and Ethan. When he is not chasing his precocious progeny, he enjoys golf, basketball, tennis and hiking with his family.
- What Businesses Can Do To Prepare For Coronavirus
March 10, 2020
- Biometric Information Privacy Laws Could Have Major Consequences
As seen in The Standard Insurance Magazine, May 3, 2019
- Using Convertible Notes or Safes? Beware of The Liquidation Overhang!
January 19, 2017
- Don't give away equity
As seen in Providence Business News, September 23, 2016, September 23, 2016
Representative Speaking Engagements
- TechSandBox Fourth Annual Pitch Fest
December 8, 2016