Recognized for his ability to unify disparate groups and facilitate change, Christian concentrates his practice in the areas of environmental and energy law, land use, civil litigation, and public sector/governmental services. With over 15 years of experience, Christian is uniquely positioned to navigate clients throughout New England through the complex ever-changing world where environmental regulation and business intersect. His experience includes a diverse range of complex environmental matters including enforcement, regulatory and compliance issues, renewable energy projects, real estate development, environmental remediation including brownfields, construction and contractor claims, coastal permitting and waterfront property rights. He has represented clients before the Coastal Resources Management Council, the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, the Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission, the Energy Facility Siting Board, the Rhode Island Contractor’s Registration and Licensing Board and the Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training.
He has represented landowners and project developers in real estate transactions, renewable energy development deals, and financing transactions associated with these projects. He plays an integral role evaluating and mitigating environmental risks relating to development projects and business transactions, as well as providing key strategy on renewable energy projects.
Christian served in the Rhode Island Attorney General’s Office where he had a proven track record of successfully litigating high profile criminal and civil cases. He led the Environmental Crimes Task Force, handling litigation on environmental issues impacting Rhode Island. Christian worked closely with the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management as outside legal counsel handling enforcement matters, drafting legislation, and negotiating diverse environmental matters. Christian has also worked closely with the U.S. Department of Justice, Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, U.S. Department of Agriculture and various state agencies and attorney generals throughout the United States.
Christian is nationally recognized for developing and implementing environmental training programs and is a sought after presenter on a myriad of topics with a focus on emerging and complex environmental issues and trends.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D.
- Providence College, B.A.
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island
- District of Columbia
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Real Estate Nexus Training Academy
- Environmental Business Council, New England, Inc.
- Audubon Society of RI
- Board Member, Secretary, Chair-Issues Committee
- RI Special Olympics
- Unified Soccer Partner & Coach
- Represented non-profit corporation in Rhode Island to successfully permit affordable housing redevelopment before local planning board.
- Represented renewable energy developer in Massachusetts and Rhode Island before zoning and planning boards for permitting and approval of large scale solar projects.
- Represented private landowner before CRMC to successfully permit a complex residential dock and dwelling.
- Represented renewable energy developer before Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission on declaratory judgment action.
- Represented renewable energy developers in Massachusetts and Rhode Island in the structuring and negotiation of solar leases, PILOT agreements, interconnection service agreements and net metering financing agreements/power purchase agreements.
- Represented developer before Rhode Island DEM to obtain permit for the large scale onsite waste treatment systems.
- Represented developers before Rhode Island DEM to obtain resolution of notice of violations related to wetlands, solid waste, hazardous waste, water and air violations.
- Ample Opportunities: Financing Options and Ownership Models for Microgrids and Energy Efficiency Projects
As published in Distributed Energy Magazine, October 1, 2018
Representative Speaking Engagements
- EBC & RISEP Rhode Island Program: Updates from Rhode Island DEM & OER
April 24, 2018
- PS&H Hosted EBC Rhode Island Chapter Breakfast
February 2, 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Welcomes Christian Capizzo to Firm as Counsel
September 25, 2017