Bill concentrates his practice in general business law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate and finance transactions, real estate, commercial litigation and insolvency matters, including workouts, bankruptcies and business reorganizations. His local and national business clients have included financial institutions, landlords, purchasers of distressed real estate and business assets, venture capitalists, real estate developers, hotels, franchisors, environmental services businesses, information technology companies, retailers, manufacturers, restaurants, health care businesses, senior executives of public companies, doctors and attorneys.
Bill is also the Chair of the Firm’s Cannabis Advisory Practice, specializing in the intersection between marijuana laws and other areas of law, including commercial and residential real estate, capital raising, financing and other business matters.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Boston University Law Review, Member and Editor
- Colby College, B.A.
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- Commercial Lending
- Commercial Restructuring & Asset Recovery
- Real Estate
- Cannabis Advisory Practice
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell, highest possible rating on both legal ability and ethics based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges
- Recognized by Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the areas of Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America 2018 as an expert in bankruptcy law, creditor debtor rights/insolvency and reorganization law
- Repeatedly recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Law and Politics and Boston Magazine
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Section
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Family Business Association
- Sudbury Youth Soccer Coach
- The Bulfinch Group Charitable Foundation
- Charles River Country Club
- Represents clients in complex mergers and acquisitions, chapter 11 reorganizations and related bankruptcy litigation, transactions and distressed asset acquisitions.
- Represents lenders and borrowers in the negotiation and documentation of loan workouts and restructurings.
- Represents real estate developers, landlords and other business entities in various transactions and other matters related to marijuana laws.
- Represents family businesses and partnerships in internal disputes.
- Represents companies in employment, non-competition and severance related matters.
- Represents regional sub-franchisor in automotive care industry.
- Represents 8(a) small business environmental services company.
- Represents regional life, disability, group insurance and financial services agency.
- Represented a facilitator of educational and patient financing in a $140 million acquisition.
- Represented a public relations company in merger negotiations.
- Represented purchaser of Ft. Devens, MA real estate and equipment assets in Evergreen Solar chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.
- Represented equipment leasing company in litigation involving defaulted master equipment leases.
- Represented Official Committee of Retirees in United Shoe Machinery chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in NordicTrack chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in large Maine paper mill chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented Chief Executive Officer of multi-national public company in securities class action and director and officer liability litigation.
- Safe Banking Act 2019
Partridge Snow & Hahn Client Alert, April 22, 2019
- Employer Liability For Medical Marijuana Bias Is Growing
As seen in Law360, March 22, 2019
- A Review Of Massachusetts' Marijuana Industry In 2017
As seen in Law360 , December 15, 2017
- Minimize Marijuana Risks With Special Lease Clauses
As seen in Law360 , September 27, 2017
- Massachusetts High Court Concludes that State Anti-Discrimination Laws Protect Medical Marijuana Users
July 19, 2017
- New Supreme Court Decision Reminds Parties to Bankruptcies to Keep their Priorities Straight
March 31, 2017
- Federal Enforcement Priorities and the Business of Marijuana: How Jeff Sessions Could Change the Landscape
February 3, 2017
- The New Massachusetts Recreational Marijuana Law – Impact on the Insurance Industry
December 21, 2016
- Opportunities and Risks – How Will the New Massachusetts Recreational Marijuana Law Affect You and Your Business?
November 9, 2016
Representative Speaking Engagements
- Marijuana Business Operations Seminar
May 17, 2019
- American Bankruptcy Institute 2017 Northeast Bankruptcy Conference
July 20 - 23, 2017
- 10th Annual Bulfinch Group Charitable Golf Tournament
June 21, 2017
- Real Estate Radio - WBZ News Radio
May 13, 2017
- Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
May 1, 2019
- PS&H Article Among Law360's Most Read Expert Analysis
As seen in Law360, March 29, 2019
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
November 5, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
American Lawyer Media, October 22. 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Recognized in Chambers USA 2018 In Rhode Island and Massachusetts
May 7, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy "Lawyers of the Year"
11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017