René is an experienced civil litigator who represents individuals and corporate clients in a broad array of matters, including disputes involving contracts, real estate, zoning, land use, construction, employment (including sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and wage and hour claims), insurance, trademark infringement, trusts and estates, and product liability.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D.
- University of Tampa, B.S., magna cum laude
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals First Circuit
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- New Bedford Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Rhode Island Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Community Engagement Committee
- Providence Business News 2018 40 Under Forty Honoree
- Buttonwood Park Zoological Society
- Secretary, Board of Directors
- Chair, Board of Development Committee
- Member, Fundraising and Events Committee
- Southcoast Business Alliance
- Member, Board of Directors
- Co-Chair, Oktoberfest
- New Bedford Chamber of Commerce
- Southcoast Young Professional Network
- Reach Out and Read
- Weweantic Neighborhood Association, Wareham
- Lukey Park Rehabilitation Project - Obtained $175,000 in Community Preservation Funds to rehabilitate 4-acre site into a multi-use community park.
- M. Ellen Carpenter Financial Literacy Program, a joint program by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts and the Boston Bar Association
- Volunteer Presenter
Representative CasesRené has successfully:
- Obtained favorable settlement for a business owner in an insurance coverage dispute in a matter concerning a broken water main in Boston.
- Obtained favorable settlement for entertainment club owner in a trademark dispute over the club's logo.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a business in a case concerning violation of the Massachusetts Sales Representative Act for unpaid sales commissions.
- Achieved a favorable settlement in a class action lawsuit against a credit union alleging violations of UCC pre and post repossession notice requirements.
- Defended contractor accused of negligence in the installation of a residential roof.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of contractor in breach of contract claim and enforcement of mechanic’s lien and recovered funds from condominium owner.
- Achieved favorable settlement for home improvement company accused of violations of the Massachusetts Do Not Call Statute.
- Obtained dismissal of financial institution accused of violations in the development and construction of condominium units.
- Obtained judgment in favor of business owner accused of violations of the Massachusetts Wage and Hour Law.
- Advised corporation in the termination of sales and distribution agreement.
- Obtained favorable settlements for patients who suffered injuries related to the Composix Kugel Mesh hernia repair patch in state and federal court in Rhode Island.
- Achieved a favorable settlement on behalf of a national roofing company in a matter concerning negligent installation of commercial roof that involves complex issues regarding building code violations and mandatory flood upgrades.
- Represented a bank in an insurance coverage dispute concerning a standard mortgagee clause in a maritime case.
- Residential homebuyer in a dispute against seller and real estate agent after fraudulent misrepresentations were made during purchase of home.
- Educational institute in a matter alleging violations of the Rhode Island Equal Pay Act, Civil Rights Acts and Whistleblowers’ Protection Act.
- Business owner in a case concerning allegations of defamation, commercial disparagement, tortious interference with contractual relations and invasion of privacy.
- Automobile dealership in a civil investigation brought by the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General Consumer Protection Division.
- Business owner in a case alleging trademark infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information.
- Bank in a class action lawsuit alleging notice violations committed during vehicle repossession.
- Employers in cases alleging sexual harassment, discrimination, and violations of the Massachusetts Wage Act.
- Business owner in defending a case filed by a business competitor alleging defamation, invasion of privacy, tortious interference with contractual relations, commercial disparagement and a 93A claim.
- Multiple business owners in trademark cancellation proceedings filed with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Getting Ready To Run
As seen in The South Coast Insider, January 2020
- Once Again, Lawyers Go Above And Beyond In '18
Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, December 20, 2018
- It is Not an Early April Fools' Joke: Give Your Employees the Required Massachusetts Pregnant Workers Fairness Act Notice TODAY
March 30, 2018
- Why Your Company Will Be in Violation of the Massachusetts Equal Pay Law on July 1st - And How to Fix It
March 28, 2018
- Massachusetts Employers Take Notice
February 22, 2018
- Massachusetts Employers Take Notice: Evaluate and Comply Now or Risk Paying More Later
August 22, 2017