Early in his career, Alex served as law clerk to the Honorable James F. Queenan, Jr., former Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Boston College Law School, J.D.
- University of Rhode Island, B.A., cum laude
- Boston University, M.A.
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- New Hampshire
- Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts
- Supreme Court of New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United Supreme Court
- Distinguished rating from Martindale-Hubbell, based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges.
- Boston Magazine, "Rising Star", 2005-2012
- M. Ellen Carpenter Financial Literacy Program volunteer
- Pro Bono Publico recognition from United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Massachusetts
- Boston Bar Association
- Steering Committee (2006 - present)
- Co-Chair, Education Committee (2013 - 2015)
- Co-Chair, Practice and Procedures Committee (2011-2013)
- Co-Chair, Membership Committee (2006-2008)
- Gloucester Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Lanesville Congregational Church
- Chairman, Board of Deacons
- Assistant Treasurer
Representative Cases and Transactions
- Negotiates chapter 11 plans of reorganization across multiple industries, including restaurant, manufacturing and retail sectors.
- Represents mortgagees and secured equipment lenders in chapter 11 reorganizations and sales, chapter 7 liquidations, assignments for the benefit of creditors and receiverships.
- Represents both single and multi-asset real estate entities in complex financial restructurings.
- Assists chapter 11 and chapter 7 trustees in administration of bankruptcy proceedings, liquidations of assets, and pursuit of estate claims and causes of action against multiple parties.
- Represents avoidance action defendants against preferential transfer and fraudulent conveyance claims by bankruptcy trustees and debtors-in-possession.
- Represents landlord and tenant interests in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Assists interest holders in closely held corporations, partnerships and family-owned business resolve disputes and ownership issues.
- Asserts and defend claims of individual creditors in bankruptcy and non-bankruptcy state-law insolvency proceedings.
- Conducts bankruptcy sales on behalf of sellers, including trustees and debtors-in-possession.
- Represents buyers of assets in bankruptcy and other liquidation sales.
- Represented Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors in chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Chapter 11 Theory & Practice: A Guide to Reorganization
Treatise Assistant Editor, 1998
Representative Speaking Engagements
- Advising the Financially Distressed Company from Retention to Filing: Key Pre-Petition Steps to Ensure Post-Petition Success
Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors, June 2019
- LLCs, Nominee Trusts & other Real Estate Holding Entities
Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, March 2019
- 20th Annual New England Bankruptcy Law Conference 2018
Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, December 2018
- Exemption Strategies After Law v. Siegal
American Bankruptcy Institute, July 2015
- The Homestead Exemption: You've Filed, Now What?
Boston Bar Association, April 2014
- How to Handle Consumer Bankruptcies
Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, October 2009
- Young Bench Meets Bar
Boston Bar Association, January 2008
- Basic Creditor Issues in Bankruptcy
Boston Bar Association, January 2008
- Health Care Reorganizations
American Bankruptcy Institute, July 2007
- Nuts and Bolts: An introduction to Consumer Bankruptcy Law
Boston Bar Association, March 2006
- The Equity Powers of Bankruptcy Court: A Trend Against the Broad Exercise of Discretion?
Boston Bar Association, February 2006
- De-Mystifying Bankruptcy
Boston Bar Association, November 2004
- Dealing With Governmental Units
American Bankruptcy Institute, July 2004
- Significant Supreme Court and Court of Appeals Decisions
Boston Bar Association, May 2004
- How Bankruptcy Laws Have Changed the Energy and Telecommunications Fields
Boston Bar Association, November 2002