Joe concentrates his practice in general corporate matters, business transactions and financing, formation of business entities, corporate finance, stock and acquisition and sale transactions, real estate transactions and developments. He advises clients regarding shareholder agreements, insurance arrangements, general contract matters, employment relationships, operating agreements, buy-sell agreements and transition planning. Joe also advises clients regarding estate planning and estate administration.
Joe’s clients are involved in various business enterprises including the manufacturing and service industries, restaurants, food and beverage concessions, motion picture theater operation and development, commercial development and real estate construction.
He is a frequent speaker on topics relating to the startup and financing of restaurants and all matters associated therewith.
Prior to joining the Firm, Joe was a partner at Looney & Grossman LLP, Boston, Massachusetts, from 1994 until 2015, managing partner for 6 years and a member of the management committee for 12 years. From 1975 until 1994, Joe was a member of Roberts, Newman & Katz, PA.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer, 2012 - 2016
- Boston Magazine Top Restaurant Lawyer, 2004
- Advised restaurant startup operation from inception in licensing, lease negotiation, funding, employment matters and opening.
- Advised advertising, public relations and promotions company as to all aspects of its business operations throughout the United States and Canada.
- Represented public amusement and sports arena food and beverage concession-company in concession operations throughout the United States.
- Structured and advised liquidation of construction subcontractor.
- Represented individual in significant estate planning and then administration of decedent’s estate including utilization of qualified personal resident’s trust, charitable remainder unitrust and full qualified marital trust planning.
- Represented multi-unit restaurant operation as to funding and lease negotiations.
Representative Speaking Engagements
- Boston State College
Mt. Ida College
- Associate Professor, Restaurant Law
- Bates College
- Cheney Society
- Board of Overseers
- Former Trustee
- Alumni Counsel, President
- City of Newton, Youth Sports
- Former Director, Coach, and Officer
- Boston Wine Expo
- Member of the Board of Director for annual Wine Expo