Jim advises regulated and unregulated businesses in connection with their general corporate matters, corporate finance and structuring, stock and asset acquisition and sale transactions, business financings, and private placements. Jim provides counsel on regulatory and licensing concerns, compliance matters, general contract matters, employment relationships, franchising and licensing of intellectual property, and integration of business ownership and succession planning.
He advises clients regarding shareholder agreements, insurance arrangements, business valuations, deferred compensation, retirement benefits and related issues. His clients include financial institutions, credit unions, hospitals, and privately-held manufacturers, distribution companies and service organizations, including medical device manufacturers and independent power producers.
Jim is a frequent speaker on topics related to regulation of financial institutions and their mortgage banking subsidiaries, and structuring business organizations.
- Chambers USA – Band 1 Corporate/Commercial Law (2018)
- Recognized in Best Lawyer in America 2018 in the area of corporate law
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2013 Providence Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell, highest possible rating on both legal ability and ethics based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges
- Recognized by his peers in Chambers USA – America’s Leading Business Lawyers since 2005 for his ability to combine corporate and securities law with a detailed knowledge of tax
- Advised a Rhode Island hospital regarding its affiliation with a hospital system, including negotiation of terms of affiliation agreement, putting in place retention agreements for key executives, obtaining early termination notice under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act and pursuing other regulatory approvals.
- Represented Rhode Island cooperative bank in connection with its conversion and sale to a bank holding company.
- Advised Rhode Island credit union in multi-million dollar outsourcing agreement for account processing and related services.
- Represented purchaser of 160 unit convenience store and gasoline station chain in four New England States.
- Structured senior and subordinated debt financings in numerous transactions.
- Advised sellers in connection with stock sale of multimillion dollar advertising specialty business.
- Represented majority sellers in sale of stock, including sale of interests held by ESOP.
- Advised sellers of two privately-held home heating and distribution businesses.
- Represented clients concerning contracts and commercial transactions including leasing, licensing and regulatory compliance relating to federal and state statutes.
- Organized SPEs and related financing transactions.
Rhode Island Bar Association
- Chair, Business Organizations Committee
Massachusetts Bar Association
Rhode Island Mortgage Bankers Association
Mortgage Bankers Association of America
- Rhode Island Public Expenditure Council
- Brown Club of Rhode Island
- Trustee and past President
- Agawam Hunt
- Past President; Chair, Nominating Committee