Jeff has a breadth of experience in civil litigation matters with an emphasis on land use, construction, creditors' rights, regulatory, and property tax related issues. He has represented financial institutions both as plaintiff and defendant in a wide variety of civil actions in Rhode Island and Massachusetts Courts. These lawsuits have involved defending financial institutions against borrowers’ claims under both state and federal lending laws as well as representing lenders in claims against defaulting borrowers.
In addition to his commercial/business related litigation practice, Jeff works closely with developers and other property owners in analyzing land use projects, identifying necessary approvals and permits and conducting administrative hearings to obtain required permitting and approvals.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1985, Editor, Suffolk University Law Review
- University of Vermont, B.A., 1982
- Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Donald F. Shea, Associate Justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island Bar Association, 1985
- Massachusetts Bar Association, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- Recognized in Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business for his work in the real estate area
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Land Use & Zoning Law
- Recognized as a Litigation Star by Benchmark: Litigation, a Guide to America's Leading Business Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Rhode Island Super Lawyers
- Recognized by Providence Hebrew Day School for his commitment to the Jewish community of Rhode Island and the numerous organizations to which he dedicates his time and financial support
- Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Municipal Law Committee
- Fee Arbitration Committee
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Construction Law Forum, Litigation
- Section of Public Contract Law
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- The East Greenwich Track Club
- Board Member
- The Odeum Corporation
- Former Board Member & President
- Jewish Community Day School, Rhode Island
- President’s Council
- Temple Emanuel
- Board of Directors, Former Member
- Diabetes Foundation of Rhode Island, Inc.
- Past Chairman of the Board, Legal Counsel
- Jewish Federation of Rhode Island
- Board of Directors, Former Member
- Community Day School Task Force
- Successfully defended a challenge to the authority of a national mortgage registration entity to exercise all the rights of a mortgagee in Rhode Island.
- Successfully defended both residential and commercial lenders in Massachusetts and Rhode Island trials brought by defaulting borrowers claiming both common law and statutory lending violations.
- Successfully argued a number of the major land use cases in the Rhode Island Supreme Court, including cases involving the scope of a municipality’s jurisdiction as it relates to coastal waters, major property tax and zoning issues, and the scope of municipal redevelopment agencies’ authority.
- Represented the condemning authority in one of the largest land takings in the State of Rhode Island’s history.
- Successfully represented the State of Rhode Island in a Federal Court challenge to tolling of a major bridge spanning the East Bay Passage under the Federal Anti-Tolling Act and National Environmental Protection Act.
- Obtained zoning relief and permits for some of the largest recent developments in the State of Rhode Island.
- Successfully tried a number of major cases relating to private property rights, state procurement, and other complex commercial and business related litigation.
- Represented The Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission, in the first contested rate hearing in over a decade, establishing tariffs for natural gas rates for commercial and residential natural gas customers.
- Represented Rhode Island Public Building Authority in construction contracting and dispute resolution matters.
- Relevancy Dictates Denial of Discovery Protection Orders
December 13, 2018
- Town issues first-ever 'Class T' liquor license to the Odeum
Jeffrey Gladstone was quoted in The East Greenwich Pendulum, April 29, 2017
- The Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Ordinance Conflict
As seen in the New England Real Estate Journal, April 14, 2017
- "Important Rhode Island Filing Deadline Approaching for Appealing Property Tax Assessment"
Representative Speaking Engagements
- Rhode Island Bar Association 2017 Annual Meeting
June 15 & 16, 2017
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Named in Benchmark Litigation's 2019 Rankings and Stars
December 7, 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
November 5, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy "Lawyers of the Year"
11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017
- Jeffrey H. Gladstone Recognized by Providence Hebrew Day School for Commitment to Jewish Community
June 1, 2017