David is a business lawyer, with substantial commercial real estate experience as counsel in complex land development, project construction, and office building, shopping center and apartment building purchase and sale transactions. He represents developers, owners, financial institutions, manufacturers, and other entities in all aspects of commercial real estate law.In addition, David represents privately held business organizations involved in manufacturing, distribution, insurance, and a variety of other industries. He has extensive experience providing advice regarding transactions, shareholder agreements, buy and sell agreements, producer and other employment agreements, business valuations, and related issues. His work with insurance agencies includes operations issues and transactions, including restructuring ownership interests, resolving family generational issues, negotiating producer contracts, managing shareholder buyouts, negotiating and closing purchases, sales and mergers of agencies, and representing agencies with respect to real estate, both owned and leased. He represents several agencies in all of their legal matters, primarily agencies located in Massachusetts.
David has more than 34 years' experience representing national and regional financial institutions in asset based, working capital and other credit facilities. He regularly serves as counsel in commercial real estate transactions involving acquisition and development financing, as well as construction lending for substantial projects.
- Boston University, J.D.
- Brown University, B.A.
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- Chambers USA – Band 2 Corporate/Commercial: Banking and Finance Law and Real Estate Law (2018)
- Best Lawyers in America Lawyer of the Year - Providence, RI Banking and Finance Law (2018)
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2012 Providence Real Estate Law Lawyer of the Year
- Ranked as a leading attorney in the Corporate/Commercial area in Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Named for peer recognition and professional achievement in The Super Lawyers directory
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Banking and Finance Law and Real Estate Law
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell, highest possible rating on both legal ability and ethics based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Business Organizations Committee
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Rhode Island Philharmonic
- Former Director
- Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce
- Legal Counsel
- Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce Foundation
- Legal Counsel
- White Family Foundation
- Board of Directors
- Providence Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- Crossroads Rhode Island
- Represented manufacturing company in financing of major acquisition.
- Represented management in management buyout of insurance agency.
- Represented several insurance agencies in transactions, including acquisitions of agencies and shareholder buyouts.
- Represented shareholders of several corporations in sale of stock.
- Represented manufacturing companies in restructuring of operations.
- Represented several acquirers of Class A office buildings in downtown Providence.
- Represented owner of multiple office buildings in several real estate projects in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represented investor in construction and development financing of an upscale, regional mall with over one million square feet of premier retail space.
- Represented developer group in rehabilitation of major commercial properties in Rhode Island.
- Represented developers of mixed-use projects in Rhode Island.
- Represented manufacturer in plant expansion, including real estate acquisitions and permitting.
- Represented owners of Class A office buildings in Providence in leasing and tenant issues.
- Represented lenders in several complex construction loans in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represented lenders in several construction and development loans for construction of shopping centers in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represented purchasers of large apartment complexes.
- Massachusetts Equal Pay Law: Major Impacts on Insurance Agencies with Mass. Employees
The Standard - New England's Insurance News Magazine, June 8, 2018
- Strategic Use of Referral Agreements
The Standard - New England's Insurance News Magazine, March 16, 2018