The Firm’s Banking & Financial Institutions Regulatory Compliance attorneys have substantial expertise in regulatory compliance matters for both depository and non-depository financial institutions. Our clients include state chartered banks and credit unions in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, national banks, and mortgage banking and other consumer finance subsidiaries. We regularly advise clients on matters concerning:
- Corporate governance, institutional authority and regulatory limitations,
- Choice of charter and corporate structure,
- Branch acquisitions,
- Uninsured product offerings,
- Outsourcing agreements,
- State licensing, and
- Examinations and dealings with regulators.
We have significant expertise in planning compliance with disclosure, supervisory and consumer issues arising in all areas, including:
- Account ownership and documentation,
- Truth-in-lending (closed-end and open-end credit and HOEPA),
- Equal credit opportunity,
- Home mortgage disclosure,
- Fair lending, fair credit reporting and fair debt collections practices,
- Servicing issues, and
- Real estate settlement procedures.
We provide counsel to clients regarding state and federal disclosure matters, loan program development, document compliance, defense of complex consumer class actions and other types of institutional litigation.
We advise clients with respect to the Dodd Frank Act and the multitude of regulations transferred to or promulgated by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. In addition, we have considerable transactional experience in the negotiation and sale of millions of dollars of loans and loan servicing rights.